In mid-March 2020 the cultural offer in Brighton & Hove was put on hold, a national lock-down began and the cultural workforce and those in the immediate supply chain experienced significant impact. Our live events offer that attracts international, national and local visitors, informs Brighton’s reputation and accounts for 40% of the City’s economy was unable to operate. From freelancers with 100% loss of paid work to organisations with 100% loss of income and a need to furlough staff quickly. No two individuals or organisations shared the same experience, yet many people came together to find ways to collaborate, support and to start to re-imagine. We want to build on this energy for this short term project.
This project is led by a collaboration between Brighton & Hove Arts & Creative Industries Commission, What Next Brighton & Hove and EPIC. The Management sub-group (Andrew Comben, Louise Blackwell and Marina Norris and Ian Baird) raised the money to make it possible from Brighton & Hove City Council, Arts Council England and What’s Next?
It runs between August and October 2020. It’s a quick turnaround.
We have 2 initial questions to explore:
1. Brighton is a spectacular natural and architectural canvas. How can we re-imagine our public and cultural spaces as we re-emerge with a cultural offering for the City over the next year?
2. What are the opportunities for collaboration and disruption to create inclusive growth for cultural freelancers, organisations and audiences over the next year?
We are pursuing the ambitious, change making ideas.
We are looking to work with around 100 people who work in arts & culture in the City to help us make the plan. There are a range of roles available for freelancers:
– Facilitators x 4 (£300 pd x 6 days)
– Arts Community Conversation Participants (£50 per hour x 3 hour long meetings x 50 people. We’re also seeking to work with an additional 25 – 50 people who are salaried and do not need a fee to take part). For this role Brighton & Hove residents will be prioritised but those with a track record of working in the City and/or who live in the surrounding areas will also be considered.
– Outside Eye (£300 pd x 5 days)
THE DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS 14th AUGUST AT 9AM.
For more information and to apply click HERE.
If you’d like to speak to me in advance of applying contact email@example.com